Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Customs

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Customs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Tome Administrative Forum -> Retired threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Customs Reply with quote

My white box was stuck in customs. Luckily, I had to pay turnover tax only. They ask you to choose from a list of item descriptions, and you have to choose a category. I live in Germany, and our form of government is not a republic, but a bureaucracy! So they have a big book, maybe a thousand pages. With millions of entries, literally. Then they ask you to choose a category that fits the item you got. Of course you don't know the rate of duty for each category, but I've had my lucky day and my choice had zero percent tariff rate. Muharharhar.... (Chris, if you want to know the category number, I'll mail it to you). Serves them right, this greedy bunch!
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

falstaff
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the &%$?!
Where did you go? The same customs office I had to go a few month ago?

A notebook. A pen. A camera. A photographic ear.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It was a good show, as usual. When I went there I was asked to present an invoice. I knew that before, so I decided to have forgotten to bring one (I speculated on the guy had to estimate the item's value, which can sometimes happen. This would be good, because he would always appraise the white box below it's true value). Anyway, it didn't help. Then I saw the seller had truthfully filled the green US customs sticker. So I asked if we could agree on that price, just to waste no more time.
The guy still wanted an invoice and offered me to log on to eBay on his computer. shocked I never log into any cash-related website like eBay, Paypal, bank etc. on a machine other than my own. So I talked my way out of it and we agreed on faxing the invoice the other day. (The guy made a funny face and said, 'If you don't send it, we'll come looking for you.' muharharhar... that was when my pokerface didn't hold anymore and I just had to smile.) I chose the item category, and was ready to pay the tax. So then, the guy said: 'Take a seat I'm calculating the tax.' So I sat down and watched him. He took a seat at his desk. He looked at the ceiling, folded his hands and put the tip of his forefingers to his nose and closed his eyes. I thought the guy was waiting for some kind of program to load, when I realized he hadn't even touched anything on his computer yet. The guy just sat there and meditated. I couldn't believe it, but the guy sat there for a full minute. Then he started opening a program and filling out some forms. And so on and so on. After five minutes or so he said, OK, you can pay the tax now. So then some other woman (who had been talking with her colleague about enemas while I waited for the tax dude to calculate the stuff) opened the cash office, filled out yet another paper form and I paid the tax and left.

The whole procedure took thirty minutes or so. Outside I met an elderly guy who was there before at a second desk and had not enough cash to pay, he just returned from the cash machine. He looked at me and said kindly "Well, you need a lot of patience with these people." I agreed, called them a bunch of lazy thieves, we laughed and I left.

So, that was my day at the office. This is no BS, this really happened the way I wrote it. And I am already looking forward to VISIT TO THE CUSTOMS OFFICE PT. III

Cool

... and before I forget it, here's the category for placing your dnd stuff and avoiding any custom fees: Warennummer 9504 9090 00 0

falstaff
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh God. Did you eat all that acid?"
I can't wait to visit the customs office at my new residence duh

A notebook. A pen. A camera. A photographic ear.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falstaff wrote:
"Oh God. Did you eat all that acid?"

We just entered the customs office in Barstow at the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. Laughing

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT. Is this your first OD&D set and what do you think of it?

(great story by-the-way)

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed! It's my first white box. It's in great NM condition and I'm just happy seeing it on the shelve. I haven't read through it, so I can't comment on the content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Retired threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: