Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Rode a roller Coaster.

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Rode a roller Coaster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Tome Administrative Forum -> Retired threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Rode a roller Coaster. Reply with quote

OK. So I went to the Rye Playland amusement park this past weekend. It is North of NYC on the LI sound between Connecticut and Long Island. The park is small and quite amazing. It is the oldest 'planned' amusment park in the US circa 1928. Quite a few of the existing rides are from that date as well.

Included within the oldies is a roller coaster called the Dragon. After I saw this ride I had to ride on it. haha This might be the last roller coaster I ever ride on that is for sure. My innards just cannot handle the velocity. lol

Anyhow, after looking at the ride I slowly became convinced this was the conceptual inspiration for the beginning of the Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon series. I think they were transported to the D&D world via roller coaster right?

Aren't these cars just awesome? I couldn't resist.

This is where you blast into the dragons mouth. The smoke is actually water mist. You go all the way through the dragon and out its ass end.

The big descent. See picture below this one.

Image captured and purchased by me at the amusement park. hahaha Look at the woman behind me! Before you mention my receding hair line I gotta say it has always been high!

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I found this art from the cartoon for comparison....

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartoon never came to France, so I'm afraid I can't help.
But I can try to shoot a recent of picture of me, to show you what receding hairline really mean !

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I never saw it, I think it never ran in Germany (I only remember Captain Future Rock out ). My wife saw it in Brazil when she was a kid. It was one of her favorite TV series shocked I should run a solo adventure for her to give her a chance trying D&D...

There are two types of roller coaster people. First type, like the Scribe, hold their arms up when it goes down and round and up again. I'm the second type, represented on that photo by the guy with the cap. I really can't stand great heights, but I love the adrenaline rush from the ride.
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe wrote:
OK. I found this art from the cartoon for comparison....

It looks amazingly similar. Maybe Gary rode it and got the idea for the TV series?

Scribe, aren't you afraid to ride in 75-years old wooden roller coasters?
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back from yet another weekend at the scribe's tower.

Believe me Ralf. I had my hands up there because that was the beginning of the ride. About 1/2 way down the hill I was like 'fuck this' and I held on for dear life. Laughing

I normally wouldn't get on a roller coaster but this is 'The Dragon'!! Once I saw it I immediately thought of the cartoon series and I just had to do it. It is likely my last roller coaster ride.

The cartoon series was mostly developed by Jeffrey Scott who also did a who slew of other fantastic 1980's cartoons here in the states. I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out where the conceptual notes for the beginning of the cartoon began.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Retired threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: