Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Raiders of the Lost RPG...

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Raiders of the Lost RPG...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Raiders of the Lost RPG... Reply with quote

I was thinking the other day that there are lost of small print run rpgs out there that most people aren't aware of, I know that in Australia there are several that I have never seen outside of these shores and so there must be lots that I'm unaware of... any of these types that spring to mind??... and just to make it interesting I'll post a doozy in a couple of hours...

Brette:)

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere on the web to date. Always great to see new items. If you need any entries for research, Brette, just let us know.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada has a few small press rpgs but probably not as many as Australia. Australia seems to have a ton of play by mail games too.

Valhalla Simulation Games out of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is this one that was recently up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200180222394

If I recall correctly, Outime is a time travel rpg. There are a few other supplements for Outime as well. After losing the auction, I ended up picking up the copy from Noble Knight that I have been eying for a while. VSG also did a fantasy rpg but the name eludes me right now - I'll have to dig it out.

Valhalla Simulation Games is actually Marc Tyrrell who also did some writing and editorial work for The Apprentice fanzine also out of Ottawa.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I followed that one as well as looking in on Aarons, I find that when a lot of the small press stuff gets a bit press on the aceaum or elsewere they tend to go for a lot more $$ than I would expect. IN the early 1990's there was quite a bit of PBM stuff around, I even did it for a while... the internet killed off that though, I din't think there is any around now at all, a whole cottage industry up and died..

Mars wrote:
Canada has a few small press rpgs but probably not as many as Australia. Australia seems to have a ton of play by mail games too.

Valhalla Simulation Games out of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is this one that was recently up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200180222394

If I recall correctly, Outime is a time travel rpg. There are a few other supplements for Outime as well. After losing the auction, I ended up picking up the copy from Noble Knight that I have been eying for a while. VSG also did a fantasy rpg but the name eludes me right now - I'll have to dig it out.

Valhalla Simulation Games is actually Marc Tyrrell who also did some writing and editorial work for The Apprentice fanzine also out of Ottawa.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other Canadian one that comes to mind is Exploiting Space (1980). It is listed on Pen & Paper and I verified with the printer that only 100 copies were printed. They only sold about 30 copies and the rest were lost or destroyed when the company ended.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=3951

I haven't seen one for sale on Ebay but I think I have an extra copy of it - I picked them up locally - I live in the area where they were published.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Australia seems to have a ton of play by mail games too.

PBM's sit at the very top of the most pressing collecting challenges facing our hobby today. The advent of computers and online gaming have killed them off. They're not worth anything in the collectibles market, and so they are in the most danger completely disappearing. Every time I think about it I hope there is someone out there who had the brains enough to collect the genre when it was possible to get them. I have a few, but there are hundreds of them out there. We really have to step up on this one.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
Quote:
Australia seems to have a ton of play by mail games too.

PBM's sit at the very top of the most pressing collecting challenges facing our hobby today. The advent of computers and online gaming have killed them off. They're not worth anything in the collectibles market, and so they are in the most danger completely disappearing. Every time I think about it I hope there is someone out there who had the brains enough to collect the genre when it was possible to get them. I have a few, but there are hundreds of them out there. We really have to step up on this one.

I have a few as well, but they, unfornatuly, don't hold much interest in them. Some of the have nice artwork and a nice basic background, but thats about all. I don't know of anyone that collects the stuff produced apart from a passing curosity on some of the games. Prob the only exsception to this would be the AD&D and Merp (did it have one, I'm assuming so) games...

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribe wrote:
I have nothing that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere on the web to date. Always great to see new items. If you need any entries for research, Brette, just let us know.

Yeh There will be a few, Can you move posts? If so I can alwasy post em here and then you can move them.. Like Adventure Quest item

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a new item, just post it under proposals for research or ask for a new publisher to be added. I check the Tome several times a day so you have to wait long.

beasterbrook
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ave you made one already for Adventure Quest at all??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: