Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Ex Wee Warriors guy ?

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Ex Wee Warriors guy ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Tome Administrative Forum -> Retired threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Ex Wee Warriors guy ? Reply with quote

Scribe, could you look at http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-First-Player-Character-Record-Sheets-ever-made_W0QQitemZ5263694435QQcategoryZ44112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to leave !

This could be an interesting contact...

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had noticed this auction but became a bit suspicious by all of the other items he has for sale. After re-reading the description it does seem to be quite clear that he is suggesting that he 'designed' the sheets.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed Peter Kerestan. He asked if I was Gary. hahahaha

I am waiting for that query to show up in the auction. duh
I jetted him off an email. Lets see if he ignores me like everyone else is these days.

Last edited by scribe on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note.....I know, I am prattling on to myself.....

How the hell did this guy fly under the radar for the last three years with that user name?

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackpot!!!!!!! Rock out Rock out Rock out Rock out

Quote:
In a message dated 9/26/2005 7:06:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, peterk@inreach.com writes:
Hi Adam, Yes the old days were filled with many a small effort that added greatly to a varied game landscape. People had a lot of choice of game figure lines and rules,and got their figures at a decent price. If you need any info on how things happened back then feel free to drop me an email. I do little gaming today as all the new gamers seemed to think along a GW single idea line. GW 4 turn games and 6D results, they don't know about the slug fests, weekend long type of games we played. The learning of history and the glory of individuals who really lived are lost to a whole generation. But in short feel free ask away if you need something. Pete
I hear ya! How the game has changed since it's earliest days. Even the differences in creative energies between OD&D and Early 1st edition AD&D towards the end of the 1 edition are remarkable let alone what the game looked like in the late nineties and today.

I collect this stuff because it takes me back to a very cool part of my childhood. I fit the typical collector of this stuff in the 30-something demographic. I entered into gaming in the late 70's when I was pretty much old enough to grasp some of what the game was all about. I had some friends that were motivated to learn to read at a higher level simply because of the game. That game is more responsible for the direction in my life having entered the arts. Simply from all that fabulous fantasy art.

Well, enough about me. A couple of specific questions I have.....

How did you ever become licensed to create gaming aids and adventures for the OD&D game? Aside from the OD&D boxset you are the first to really contribute to the game in printed-buyable format. This has always struck me as incredible considering the location of the company away from mecca Wisconsin.

Which was the true first printing of the Palace of the Vampire Queen? Some full sized have been spotted and theorized to have been with the black folder or the exact same item without the black folder.
Black folder
stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/afterglo/rpg/nontsr/others_lz/ww_vq2.jpg
Without black folder
stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/afterglo/rpg/nontsr/others_lz/ww_vq3.gif
One has been spotted that was spiral bound....
stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/afterglo/rpg/nontsr/others_lz/ww_vq1.gif
Could this one be a homemade job?

Some of your products were abruptly discontinued as a licensee of D&D products. At times even the copyright/license notation was markered out some publications. Even the third adventure in the Isles series (Misty Isles) was devoid of the TSR marking.

Finally, What have you been up to since Wee Warriors? Such great products lost to history! Hope all has been well. Morno has turned up a bit recently but I haven't heard much since.
Anyone else you might be looking for?

Much appreciated.
Adam

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very cool response. I shall follow up with more questions. Any ideas?

Quote:
Hi Adam, I too found that D&D got my creative side going back in the 70's. Today that is being used in doing Computer art and re starting my casting and resin business. I have some sculptors doing up some figures for me for a line I will be producing by the end of the year. People have been asking about resin game products so I'll be doing that as well but only via ebay sales. Part of my problem in the old days was that no one did written license agreements which was fine till something went wrong. In the case of TSR they were to carry the products I made and pay me for them. When they had cash flow issues they impacted me as I already had footed the cost to get them product to sell. So money ,as is almost always the case, ended our agreement. Years later I would go through the same thing with Geo Hex and Simtek as almost $44,000 in resin products supplied sat on my books. With TSR I went into their "we don't like you anymore" bin so I can understand the changes to the books. I looked at the pictures you linked to and yes the black cover and yellow cover were among thefirst efforts back in 1975 but I don't remember ever doing a spiral bound for sale. My wife's cousin had a print shop and we did the first ones on his press then I drove them to different hobby shops and sold them from the trunk of my car. A year later I picked up a small press and started doing all the printing in my game shop in San Louis Obispio CA. Brad (Morno) came up from LA and I set him up with a place to live and he came down to the shop as well as he worked on art for the products. After a year or so he was looking for something else in art and not just the fantasy stuff so we parted. It was more a misunderstanding on my part then anything else and I didn't see clearly what he wanted from our effort, but I lost contact with him soon after that. Without an artist and still miffed with TSR I looked at computers that were first being made for home use. This took me to spending too many years working for some major companies in San Jose setting up Tech support departments and being a full time Geek. Now "retired" to NV I again am getting back to doing items for gamers by a gamer. But this time I deal directly with customers. I have also found that buying hobby shop inventories as GW stores drive the little shops out of business to be a profitable ebay effort. I really hate what they have done to this hobby. No one remembers Jack Scruby, Tony Bath, or companies like Coulter Bennett. And that is what is sad about how the hobby has changed, as the players think the hobby was made by GW, Oh well, as to the most recent effort I am doing up a 100 characters fantasy female fighters cd with art the DM can use. Yes we can never have too many chainmail wearing women. This will be followed by NPC art and Heroes. Unlike other people doing paper standups I am providing the art in psd layers and jpg's so the person with photoshop can alter it and use it for anything from character sheets, to playing figures, to counters, to magnets for the fridge. So that's what I am at today. Thanks and you can email me anytime Pete

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jack Scruby, Tony Bath, or companies like Coulter Bennett

I hate to admit to him that I have no idea who those people are either.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent a follow up string of questions to Peter. I am leaning towards asking him for a full interview and invite him into the site for clarity on Wee Warriors items.

Until then I will wait to see that he doesn't turn up at the Acaeum. I am fully shocked they haven't jumped all over him on that board.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribe wrote:
I have sent a follow up string of questions to Peter. I am leaning towards asking him for a full interview and invite him into the site for clarity on Wee Warriors items.

Until then I will wait to see that he doesn't turn up at the Acaeum. I am fully shocked they haven't jumped all over him on that board.

This will be interesting! Please go ahead!
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long and interesting thread, I but can't fully read it now. I'm at work, after two 3-hours nights. I'll read it tonight at home.

Just a couple of important points IMO :
I don't think I need to insist on the impact that could have the participation of P. Kerestan in our Wee Warriors pages. Wee Warriors modules are as mythical as they are stuffy. Wink
It's unbelievable nobody on Acaeum didn't contact him yet, but we have to take advantage of that. Sorry if that sounds a bit "direct"... It seems a good idea to invite him the site, especially considering the first exchanges with Adam are very positive.

PS : $444.44 shocked shocked shocked

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never set the snipe while drunk.... Party

hahaha. But seriously, when I set it to win I always put in a painful bid. Because if there is someone else dumber than I at least I get to enjoy making them pay through the nose. Besides, it helps strengthen interest between Pete and I.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got him now due to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8709691779

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one should go high, I'm gonna put a "hey, look, I'm a big collector" bid...

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is casually referring to my discussions with him within his auction descriptions. Not directly mind you....just using all of his answers to the most interesting things that I asked about.

I will follow up with another question to him today. But I think the newbies at the Acaeum (I mean the IO types) will swoope down on him pretty hard.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayum!!

Maybe I should start up that TomeofTreasures moniker and throw a fat bid at it as well.

I think these wee warriors prices are just gonna be a blip on the radar as far as the standard values go. Specially reserved for the Kerestand designer.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Christsakes. Now they have decided that there are 5 different printings/versions of the first edition Palace. I am sure they will call the one up for auction now the T1PotVQ. Mad

Can we promise not to call anything a true first print here at the tome? It is majorly irritating.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No TRUE's no ALPHA's, BETA's and GAMMA's. No PLUS's and MINUS's. Promised.

It's bullshit starting calling newly discovered 1st printings "true" first printing. A first printing is a first printing is a first printing. If they don't have the balls to step up and tell them folks out there, that what they have is now as second and not a first printing, I call that bullshit.

TheShield
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose :
- pre 1st printing
- early 1st printing
- 1st printing
- late 1st printing

No TRUE, no ALPHA, no BETA, no GAMMA, no PLUS and no MINUS, all is fine Wink

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Printings are different than editions. Significant variations are usually referred to as a different edition of the same item. Certain editions have several printings that do not vary so greatly.

1st printing
2nd printing
3rd printing
4th printing

digest edition

etc.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After another email exchange with Pete I have decided to let him into the site. I feel confident he will not pass along the link before we go public.

I am hoping to get some confirmation on info on the site and convince him to submit to an interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Retired threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: