Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Parkinson

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Parkinson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Tome Administrative Forum -> Retired threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Parkinson Reply with quote

I noticed that Parkinson's site had been updated recently with regard to the store. All of it was prints and such but it made me think that maybe his heirs were possibly healing enough to go ahead and sell some of his stuff off. So I sent off an email inquiring and got a great reply. His widow had indeed began thinking of selling off some originals and was in the middle of cataloging his material. It sounded like I was the first to really get her motivated to discuss a deal. Which is fantastic!

I hope to hear more soon and will keep you updated. *prays to God this cash job comes through!*

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing! Applause
Tome of Treasures - #1 resource for collectible role-playing games.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you recognize this one Ralf....

the one above is all but a done deal. I am jazzed! Rock out They are both huge at 30" x 40"
I don't know if I can afford Brom's pricepoint for this second item but he has offered it up to me as well.....

Beyondthebreach
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! The second picture too . . .

Ya' know, you can always sell something that you can pick up again in a year or two for extra money now. The art is unique and you will probably never get another chance at it.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really good about putting all of my would-be savings into original artworks. I think it has a much longer reach in terms of holding value as a collectible compared to some of the gaming materials and it is good for the artists now. I hope I never have to use them to raise cash as they become like children to me. But someday, when I move on, my heirs can try to get some bucks out of them.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, you got me sweating even more than I have to in this sticky hot internet cafe! You got the original Dark Sun art! Man, I don't believe it. Seriously, I am happy you got it. It's beautiful art and it wakes old memories. My Dark Sun campaign was the best game I had so far. Dark Sun ist really the world that I care most about. I took the first novel with me and read a chapter every day. Are you going tou buy that art, too? It's the piece with Agis in front and Rikus and Sadira more in the back.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have definitely agreed in principle to the top piece so that is as good as done. This are all very expensive so more than one is nearly prohibitive...especially if I start talking serously about buying something from Parkinson's heirs. But I really like these, what Brom calls wrap-arounds. He has found 3 of them and could possibly have more including the one I think you are mentioning.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the others he has offered up to me....

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should just change the title of this thread to Brom. Wink Hopefully, it will turn back toward Parkinson with any luck.

Of all of these, the winged woman Brom refers to as Neeva is by far the most expensive asking price. I am not aware of all the piece dates but all are published somewhere in TSR as this is what I asked for specifically. The Neeva is what I would refer to as Brom's mature style. This is what the big fantasy collectors look for in a Brom with a singular figure posing in what seems to be more 'fashion' illustration sort of poses than fantasy....and Brom prices accordingly, along the lines of $5,000. No thanks! But remember he is selling stuff like that at that price point all the time. But thankfully, he doesn't think as highly about his other stuff!

What is so cool about these wrap-arounds is they literally are used in multiple published covers so it is almost like getting 2 for the price of one. And they not only adorn great Dark Sun material but seem to at once bridge his early stuff to his mature style.

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neeva was the gladiator mate of Rikus. The picture you posted is well-known. The second picture zou posted is not the one I meant - it was used as novel cover and depicts Sorak the Seeker, the first of the second series in Dark Sun novels (below than average IMHO): http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/darksun/tsr2425_theoutcast.htm I also think it was re-used TSR stzle for another product in the FR line.

The one I was talking about is this one: http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/darksun/tsr2402_verdantpassage.htm

It's also a wrap-around. The guy with the scimitar is Agis, a noble joining the Veiled Alliance in the revolution against Kalak, the tyrann of Tyr. The guy to Agis' left is Rikus, the wench in the back is Sadira. The other part of the wraparound is the background piece on the Dark Sun main page> http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/2E_darksun.htm

Those picture from Brom are terrific. He was surely the rught guy for doing the Dark Sun artwork!

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to pick one or two quintessential images for Dark Sun, what would they be?

Ralf Toth
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattering that you ask for my opinion. The quintesessential is of course the wraparound we were talking about.

http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/darksun/tsr2400_campaignsetting.htm

On the bottom left you see the wraparound; left side is the "Rules Book" cover and right side is "The Wanderer's Journal" cover. It's cover for both the basic boxed set and also the first novel. Both products defined the world of Dark Sun, any other product is derived from those basics.

If you want, you might look for a good Baxa piece, he's been doing the interior art, congenial to Brom.

A personal favorite of mine is this Brom piece, depicting Borys the ancient Dark Sun dragon: http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/darksun/tsr2413_valleyofdustnfire.htm

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> Retired threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: