Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Tidbits from the Grand Bazaar

Tome of Treasures - Ye destination for discussions of Collectible Adventuring

HomeHome FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Documento sin título

Tidbits from the Grand Bazaar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity got the better of me so I went through a bunch of old supplements and I think the art is the "Prints from Dungeons & Dragons" set 2: Witch, Hippogriff, Wizrds Fighting, Barbarian, Werewolf.

They are listed on the catalog page of my 1st print GK logo Star Probe book.

I don't have the rulesbooks handy but are these pictures taken from the rule books?

grodog
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warrior succumbing to stirges was definitely used; I also asked about the name, and for individual pics of the art.
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
Wow! That's going to be a tough sell. Huge price, no paypal, questionable condition. Don't really like the attitude that comes across in the seller's description either.

Only slightly wary here on attitude from previous comms but suspect they're just fluffing-up and cherry-picking sources rather than anything more malign. Ask Stephen or Lance, since Kynan ain't commenting? Wink
The condition of that set actually looks rather good, IMHO, but the question is probably more whether the market believes a sweet 1st print is still in the $4-5k band rather than the $1-1.5k band it was before; and that it will stay in the former. (I still remember Paul's cold-feet reaction to winning the ~$2,200 sale on a "late" 1st).
The one high-flier who would probably have snagged it asap at $4.8k just picked up Mike/IO's "middle" copy, afaik. (Putting "or highest offer" probably hasn't done them any favors, either!).

Mars wrote:
If anything, an errata sheet would indicate that it is a later first print or not a first print at all. I wonder if David has one with the errata sheet?

I'd personally label that a "middle" set (ymmv) and the errata sheet is possibly optional with those, it seems. "Later" sets with the variant U&WA cover should have one and "earlier" sets (very slightly taller and apparently fractionally darker on the red/green/blue on the cover) don't, from what I've seen.
That set appears to be slightly lighter colors (albeit almost impossible to judge from a photo/scan) and the spines are not creased from the books having to be arm-wrestled into the box (even to put them in for the first time, if rarely removed since).

No need to take any of that as "gospel", of course (prices on 1sts moved up too quickly and I missed half a dozen sales, for me to pick up all the copies I was looking for to attempt to confirm/deny), but the "official" 1st print 1,000/2nd print 2,000 certainly doesn't fit with the evidence.
(Expecting a bit much for the various sites to make all corrections required or note possible exceptions - we'll be stuck with "pre-publication" copies for ever, too, it seems.... Confused).

So, in conclusion;
Quote:
This may be the only "complete" set known!

Erm, no...

aside: I can't recall whether I asked how they picked up all those goodies, but there's no consistent early dating; particularly notable being the stapled 3rd Chainmail previously ( http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=180178392532 ).

Mars wrote:
Even in the Tractics auction, where the box just has a piece of paper with "Tractics" written on it. The selling is fluffing up the auction to hint that maybe Gygax wrote it. Maybe I just need to get some sleep.

Possibly so. Wink
Slight faux-pas on their "this is arguably the very first gaming book" Little Wars, too. Not only is that the American 1st edition, but it's quite some way off being that; whether in English or any other language.

Regards,
David.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kynan ain't commenting?

What would you like me to say? The best part about the auction are the art pages.

scribe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been around this stuff in a collectible capacity only what seems like a short 8 years. It amazes me that I keep seeing stuff that I never knew existed. New, barely distinguishable printing runs of items never impress me. Seeing entire productions of items, such as the art prints, is very impressive to me.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of the older TSR games contain ads for art prints of various sorts, like the woodgrain art or the sets Mark mentions. I only have a couple GK editions of things. It would be very nice for those who do would add them to the D&D section with the relevant scans. The more public the information the better.

Mars
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the catalog page here for now for the benefit of those that don't have a copy. The same art prints are listed in Warriors of Mars, 1st print Star Patrol and 1st print Tricolor all with GK logos.

Beyondthebreach
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listed on ebay with a $3500 opening bid and $4000 BIN:

Collection of Stuff

"Yes . . . it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
Quote:
Kynan ain't commenting?

What would you like me to say? The best part about the auction are the art pages.

Mark's implied enquiry in "Don't really like the attitude that comes across in the seller's description either", since you've done business with the vendor before.

(IMHO the best part is the 1st woodie, but that's a hard-nosed $-based observation since absolutely no-one is going to drop that kind of serious cash on the prints alone Wink
Any high-end reseller (collector/reseller) who thought they could recoup near to full-$ on the woodie would already have gotten twitchy thumbs, I suspect).

Last edited by harami on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyondthebreach wrote:

Collection of Stuff

Nicely smoked out... Very Happy

"Also are the Reference Sheets which also includes the elusive CORRECTION SHEET. I hear that this is extremely rare and makes this a complete set."
Amazing what one just happens to hear these days. Cool

Kim Mohan signed Best of Dragon #4. Sweet.... Wink
d.

bombadil
Cataloguer
Cataloguer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harami wrote:

Kim Mohan signed Best of Dragon #4. Sweet.... Wink
d.

Yeah, noticed that too. Nice detail. Very Happy

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bombadil wrote:
Yeah, noticed that too. Nice detail. Very Happy

Shall I ask them if they're willing to split, Stephen? Cool

(I've forwarded the link to the $4,800 BIN seller, of course... Wink)

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mark's implied enquiry in "Don't really like the attitude that comes across in the seller's description either", since you've done business with the vendor before.

There isn't anything to say. Typical successful ebay transaction. That's why I left positive feedback. Check it out.

Quote:

Collection of Stuff

A much better deal. The woodie just isn't the collectible it was five years ago or even two. Both of those auctions would have been snapped up in the feeding frenzy. It's safe to say that there are plenty of them out there because people didn't throw them away.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
A much better deal. The woodie just isn't the collectible it was five years ago or even two. Both of those auctions would have been snapped up in the feeding frenzy. It's safe to say that there are plenty of them out there because people didn't throw them away.

"Just isn't the collectible it was"...? More from the p.o.v. of expected value rather than interest, perhaps.
There were a good number of bids in on similar 3-4 years back but then people were being "hopeful" on a final target in the $1-1.5k range. A better condition 1st print set with one book missing struggled to sell at $600-700, for example. Potential buyers would still be fighting over them that way if they thought they could pick up a copy for similar money.
The price spike is much more recent than that and killed the frenzy somewhat (or is still in the process of doing so, given there are still people with almost that much money to burn). I was surprised there were so few instances of price-boosting where people with no interest in actually buying actually ended up with the goods when all they wanted to do was bump up the price and then sit back to watch the high-end bidders slog it out.

*nods*. Definitely a "better deal", but still aimed at resellers (collector/resellers) rather than someone wanting the 1st woodgrain by itself. They'd've probably have done better splitting the auction, to be honest, given the ease of undercutting the $4,800 BIN sale.

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody been following this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200179129501&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=010

Amazing!

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the winner made sure that that woody was a first print.

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfm wrote:
I sure hope the winner made sure that that woody was a first print.

It didn't really seem they cared, given some other obvious questions. Reseller as predicted. Wink

The box is a 85-90% guide and the books looked right - the U&WA appearing to confirm that (vs. http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21767&lighter=#21767 )

harami
Academician
Academician

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harami wrote:
Slight faux-pas on their "this is arguably the very first gaming book" Little Wars, too. Not only is that the American 1st edition, but it's quite some way off being that; whether in English or any other language.

$461 for a slightly discolored, worn US 1st edition vs. $400 for what should be a decent UK 1st on abe (which I thought was a bit high, but seems reasonable by comparison...).
Ah... madness before Christmas. Guess it would be tactful not to point that out to the buyer, since the seller declined to post or reply to my enquiries... (Steven/red_bus had better luck, but then he was a potential buyer - strange that Wink).

Interesting competition on those Fast Rules, btw. Any backstory, since I'd've thought Paul already had that one? :)

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: LW I thought that the LW ending was odd because the book can be had for a lot less. Maybe the 1st US is harder to find. I simply don't know. Didn't a couple of the red cover come up this year for much less? One was from Canada, I think. I was watching that one until the $180 jumped to $360.

re: FR There are several different prints of this one, three of which are represented here http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=981 I think the Guidon buyers did pretty good. I was a little surprised that SE didn't have a buyer since it was vended with and without the map/counters http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2963

tfm
Tome Crew
Tome Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very reasonable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-Bloodstone-pass-RPG-Module-Expansion-NIB_W0QQitemZ360003880706QQihZ023QQcategoryZ44112QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tome of Treasures Forum Index -> TSR Borderlands Keep All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: